PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Egypt?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2007, 06:04
atb1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540

That's a very nice project you have in mind, and with a bit of careful planning (plus a few good contacts) you'll have the trip of a lifetime. I took part in an organized rally to Egypt and Jordan back in 2001 and am still buying books on the area even now.

We were over a dozen aircraft ranging from a Cessna 170 (!) carrying our wonderful (French) engineer, to our organizer's Twin Comanche, a Cessna push-pull and several Bonanzas. There may even have been a TB20 along, I'll have to dig up the paperwork.

We came together in Cannes, moved on to Corfu, from where we were due to refuel in Iraklion, but they backed out at the last minute quoting all sorts of reasons (except perhaps the real one). Most of the singles went via Mykonos who agreed to take them after several phone calls by Kerkira ATC. We were able to get to Cairo direct, where we landed at the brand-new October airfield, to be welcomed by the Min of Tourism and a Slovak TV team! The Hotel was in Giza in sight of a new high-level road which blocked the view to the Pyramids, but we would see enough of them eventually. In fact, the briefing that evening, ably assisted by a member of the local flying club, was all about next day's trip from October via the Pyramids (one circuit only please) to Cairo city, where we flew up and down the Nile at low level (at least, below the tallest buildings, the TV team getting footage of us from above! I recall at least three circuits of the P's, which we would also visit later by bus, plus Son et Lumiere in the evening. Sightseeing, museum, mosque, and many other items were also on the itinerary.

Departure to Luxor was suddenly intervalled such that several aircraft overheated, in spite of our having been joined by two Katanas from Alex and October who were going to be with us the rest of the Egyptian part and who tried to reason with ATC. But they were only acting on instructions from Cairo main. Cairo was very busy and my crew were intent on flying down the Nile at low-level, which we did, and very nice it was too. ATC had obviously given up! After Luxor came Abu Simbel, then Aswan, followed by a 3 hour long scudding of the Nasser Sea up across to the Sinai, where we were denied a landing at Sharm because Arrafat had beaten us to it, so we had to land at El Tur, meaning a bus to the hotel in Sharm, and no possibility of a flight to St. Catherine to visit the monastery. We did it by bus, an awful journey, but well worth being there.

Amman was next on the list, then we took Aqaba. The flight home via Rhodes went via Hurghada to refuel and clear customs outbound.

What I don't know is whether fuel had to be organized but I can find out for you. Current contacts with the civil aviation school in Cairo may also prove useful.

I'll be happy to do a bit of digging for you so let's email shall we.

cheers
atb