PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA/JAA Aviation Medical & related issues
Old 6th Jan 2007, 17:52
CharlotteH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19-want to be pilot - medical/educational issues - help!

Hi, i'm currently in my 2nd year of studying for a philosophy degree because i didn't know what i wanted to be when i finished my a-levels! I now want to be a commerical airline pilot. I got BB for Science GCSE and C for Maths. For a-levels I got CCD in Philosophy, Psychology and English. You can see my problem...is it imperative that one gets really high-grades in related subjects? Would it be worth going to some sort of night-course at a college?

I've bought PPL books to begin theory learning, and from research it seems Africa offers good, cheaper, full-time training courses. I'm thinking now that when i finish uni prehaps I should go to SA and do all the training there? (PPl then CPL then ATPL?) I'm not sure if ATPL is attainable in that short time but theory wise maybe, not too sure will find out!

I need to check my eyes are ok (i wear contact lenses) and also a few years ago I had back surgery, i have quite a lot of fixed titanium now but am perfectly able to do everything and am not obviously operated on.

So you can see there are quite a few obstacles and i'd appreciate your knowledge on whether i'm wasting my time on this or i have a shot? Of course i'd have a medical but does anyone know whether my back is a definate no? Also are the Afica training places any good?

Sorry I know this is quite long! Thank you, Charlotte

Last edited by CharlotteH; 6th Jan 2007 at 18:02. Reason: title didn't aptly describe thread contents