PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To all SIA hopefulls...and SIA itself
View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2001, 16:52
New York Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool To all SIA hopefulls...and SIA itself

Gentleman,

While I may not be a local, I was the Indian American revengefully dejected by SIA approximately a year ago, 7-7-2000 exactly, at the tea party stage after I had already given up so much to immigrate to Singapore as a newly wed of a Singaporean. I went into the SIA screening process havng been a First & Second Officer on the B727, experience with 3 airlines, instructor on the Falcon 20 with Flight Safety International, 6,500 hours, ATP, etc. etc. etc. You can read all about the circumstances and the heavy handed policies of SIA recruitment where they will simply label someone as "will not fit in" for sharing a reluctant opinion within this forumn under "Thoughts from an almost SIA Pilot". SIA has always been of the opinion that they can do any thing they want and people will still want to fly for them.

I sit here a full year latter having risen to challenge now as a Pilot for a major U.S. passenger airline earning 3 times what SIA would have paid me without spending 1 full year in training to convert my licenses.

My advice to all of you as follows:

While SIA might do so many dirty deeds and is unworthy of the admiration that people have for it, let me tell you as a graduate of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, that even in the U.S. many many many people that I have know who obtained professional Pilot licenses and have never made the grade at an airline. It is a sad fact of life.

There is no dispute that SIA Pilot Recruitment is a joke but remember not to spend all your time fighting the system and saying SIA...please give us a chance. Instead spend a good deal of your time keeping your instrument scan in good shape, studying turbojet systems, and most of all preparing for a successful life as if you are not going to be taken in by SIA.

Only then you will you be successful for I know many people who where Pilots in great carriers such as Pan Am, Eastern, etc. that never again flew as professional Pilots when their carriers went under but some how still managed to feed their families, send their kids to college, etc. etc. etc.

That is something I highly doubt the 4 Pilots from my tea party interview would be capable of if just somehow SIA ever went under. Hey, you never know....

Good luck to all!!!