PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting times in Aussie SAR/EMS
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2007, 13:46
RWJackOfAllTrades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flungdung....I agree and well said!

Its nice to see someone with some constructive comments rather than the usual gaggle of people prepared to bag, question for all the wrong reasons and hang s$#t for whatever reason.

Either way, its a good move for what they (EMQ) have to work work and they are providing an opportunity for the crewman to step up professionally and be amongst the most highly trained and capable in their field in the country. Why anyone would bag them or not want to have a go defies logic to me???

When I said it would be a $45000AUD investment, I meant in terms of a basic CPL. Of course, a type co-pilot endorsement will cost more and a basic IFR rating can be completed on suitable taskings. Yes, it will cost more then $45000, but it will certainly be a cheaper and probably an overall better option then employing full-time co-pilots in the long-term. Co-pilots have their role, hell I was one too like many before me. But for this operation, it sounds as though they will do fine without one and again, they are doing their best with what they have whilst promoting and nurturing those within.

When its required, it is no worries to call in another pilot/co-pilot for those difficult night or over water missions. Just remember, these guys probably still have cost restraints and their doing the best they can with what they have. Like many smaller GA companies, you can only do so much with what you have. Operationally, what they are doing fits nicely and its the best case scenario overall.

Whether they need to complete ATPL's is inconsequential. Its a great opportunity that is being provided and if people do not want to step up to the plate and accept the inevitable changes for the better for their industry and for themselves, then probably better they bow out sooner rather then later.