PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA pilots 'prepared to strike'?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2007, 10:42
WhoopWhoop Whoops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ba Pension problem

Here is what is in the public domain ie bassa members vis the meeting............

You will read of the decision of the BA Forum to recommend acceptance of a pensions package, designed to safeguard the future of NAPS in BA.

It will now be for the members to decide.

Following our discussions with the BASSA Committee and representatives, I made it very clear to the company that BASSA was not ready to settle the issue of pensions at this stage.

The Forum was then faced with two options:

• imposition next Tuesday by the company agreeing with the Trustees;
• recommending the package that had seen a further and final improvement made in day-long negotiations earlier today.

The BA Forum concluded that imposition was completely unacceptable because:

• it would be a bad precedent for the future
• the £800 million would not be guaranteed
• the further improvements made today amounting to £8 million would be at risk.

Before the Forum made its decision, I made it clear that the T&G could not vote in favour of the package because of the clear position of BASSA.

The T&G position was therefore to abstain.

Crucially, it should be stressed that the further improvements to the pension package has a lot to do with the firm stand taken by BASSA.

Further discussions will now take place between BASSA and BA on the Pensions package as it affects BASSA members.

On the wider dispute between BASSA and BA, the issues remain unresolved and we will now be joined by Amicus in fighting for a just settlement.

Finally our members in BASSA will continue to have the total support of their Union, the T&G.

............This brings me to the view that the only union that has stood firm is the T and G and BASSA.

BALPA has been a paper tiger in this issue.

Last edited by WhoopWhoop Whoops; 6th Jan 2007 at 11:12.