PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Un-restrained Cessna rudders at Point Cook. Naughty, naughty.
Old 6th Jan 2007, 02:33
glastar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC3 control chocks.

My first airline job was as a DC3 F/O. We installed aileron and rudder chocks in gusty conditions and when parked overnight. The rudder of the DC3 is huge with no damping or hydraulic assists. In strong winds it was difficult to control when turning during taxiing, and many a time at Essendon we used a rudder chock until lined up for takeoff. when it would be removed by an engineer. Later airline a/c have more sophisticated lock systems built in. When I retired I helped restore a DC3 and also built my own light a/c. I copied the DC3 chocks for my a/c as similar to most light a/c it does not have any built in system.
The Aileron and Rudder chocks are inserted on the control surface and prevent movement even on the control hinge. Therefore cables/ pullys/hinges/ stops etc cannot be damaged.
I thought, if it was good enough for MR Douglas it would be good enough for me. I always, even in the hangar, install the pitot/ static and tank vent covers as no one has told the bugs not to nest in these areas.
Then again it may be that I am just a little old fashioned. 25000 hrs.