PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the American Military at a breaking point due to the War in Iraq
Old 5th Jan 2007, 22:56
mbga9pgf

Originally Posted by SASless
Mb,
Please explain how a Presidential Veto works in this matter?
Veto's are used by the President when a Bill is provided to him to be signed into law if he wishes to kill the Bill. Congress can overcome a Presidential Veto by a vote assuming they have enough votes to do so.
The powers to declare War are left with Congress. The President as Commander-in-Chief fights the War. Congress pays for the war by means of appropriation Bills which must be signed by the President or Vetoed.
I am going to be completely honest with you SASless, I am purely going off what I have seen off Fox/CNN/NBC etc plus a lot of west wing... I thought on matters of national security and overseas policy, the President had an absolute right to veto any opposition to his fighting of the war...
I also thought that loyal Republicans in Congress could be expected to create the bills on behalf of the president to get the funding he requires?
I honestly could do with knowing more about the American system works, so would appreciate to know if this is the way it works?

My understanding was, the elected President acts in more of a "leadership" role, as opposed to the "managerial" role that our Prime Minister is supposed to take? (not that you would believe it, living in the UK currently).