PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANSTON- 3
Thread: MANSTON- 3
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2007, 20:19
Jes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel I must go off at some length.

The Mods have taken action against a couple of teenage scribblers: if you scan through old messages you'll see they've irritated me many times. Perhaps I can say, in their favour, that the internet was unheard of when I was their age; my youthful outbursts at Gatwick went unnoticed by industry stalwarts.

I don't rant at other posters, but I like to focus on this thread being about rumours relating to Manston. I happen to live in Thanet, and am a director of three companies involved in aviation and passenger transport, a lifelong aviation enthusiast, and a supporter of economic regeneration in East Kent.

I could bang on about Southend, another airport with problems, but I don't. Whilst I see the investment in Lydd as a potential threat to the existing infrastructure at Manston, I'm not going to attack Lydd.

Economic success is so often related to the influence of individuals. I know that other posters have in-depth knowledge of the history of Planestation and EUjet. I have had frank discussions with many of the leading players of that period. I remember questioning the viability of the Copenhagen route during a conversation with a PS director before it started; he shared my belief that it was doomed.

I could go on for hours about the crazy decisions taken by individuals in charge: some examples

the non-building of hangars for both MK and Atlanta
the driving away of MK and freight in general
the acceptance of EI-DFZ (20% of the fleet was a rogue)
the market research on the Manchester route, which consisted of looking at the clothes worn by passengers; as they were casual they were deemed to be leisure travellers, so the service was cut to one a day

It's not correct to say there is not a market for Manston, and that's why I don't respond to doomsayers. I have to fly to Dublin 8 times a year, and having tired of the Ryanair scramble at Gatwick, have moved up to £80 returns from LHR with Aer Lingus, with that priceless feature, advance seat allocation. The snag with this route is the stacking each time I return to LHR and the stress of getting to Victoria for the Thanet train. There are routes from Manston that are bankers; the cognoscenti know which they are, and they will run: we might have to wait till 2008.

The other tired old mantra is the close it and build houses story. Not really worthy of comment.

I can only hope that Infratil have the stamina and leaders to see it through. One individual has been removed already, so we should see some improvement.

Facts/rumours

Lighting renewal almost finished
Interim radar ready soon, and a re-conditioned one will be erected later on a 30m pole on the northern grass
additional freight apron to be built soon (planning permission in place)
DAS have plans to expand (I know more but can't say)
BMed story looks good

I could mention some possible problems, but shan't.