PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - XL.com/Excel Airways
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2007, 19:48
BestonBoard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I flew for XL last summer before moving on to pastures new. They are a good company to work for, as long as you truly are flexible. If you can, be positioned at LGW, BRS or MAn as they are permanent bases. I worked at an outstation, and have to admit it was a very dodgy a/c, worked on 3 AOC's over 6 months, got stranded down route several times with very little contact from OPS unless we contacted them. The crews are great, they have now launched a new buy on board service, so everything that PAX require they have to pay for... no freebies! the 73's they have are really nice, they tend to do a lot of outsourcing through the summer and lease canadian, finish and other a/c... short haul fleets are 737-800/757/767-200 and longhaul is 767-300 and 747... however a lot of these are manned by Ex-Air Atlanta crew... it itends to be the old timers that get the long haul I'm afraid. You are only on a temp summer contract, approx april to November, unfortunately I am a little bitter, as no matter how hard I tried to prove myself, (no sickness, absence, lateness and glowing IF Assessments) I was still not offered transfer or even a part time contract... I know crew at the permanent bases that did get these contracts, although they took time off sick, were late etc...

It was a good first flying experience though! It gave me the flying bug and helped me get my role with my new airline now!

As for the interview day.... Smart and professional... be prepared to do a written exam about the history and aspects of the company, customer service, maths etc... Also a listening exercise, and a group exercise...

You will be measured and weighed as soon as you arrive, so don't fib on applications.

If you are successful, you will go through to a 2 to one interview, normally held with a trainer, and a purser... usual airline questions.... why do you think it is important to wear a uniform, give me a good example of when you have provided good/bad customer service etc...

Make sure your personality comes through tho! that's what they'r looking for!

Good luck to you all! I hope they treat you better than they did me