PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fleet grounded at 7kts??
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2007, 18:51
Flyin'Dutch'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by XL319
I had a flight booked at my local flight school. The TAF read 30016kt 9999 FEW031 BECMG 1719 28003. The METAR was 30007KT with the runway being 231 degree's. The school would not fly. I asked why they would not fly as the wind is 7KT's forcast to decrease and they said the wiond direction is dangerous being right across the runway. I couldn't beleive what i was hearing. A C152 has a demonstrated Xwind landing of 15KT's.
I was somewhat bemused as to why they would not fly.
Later checked and the wind went down to 29002KT

XL, you don't make it clear at what stage of the game you are.

Not flying because of that wind and crosswind component does not seem to make a lot of sense as others have said unless you are an early solo pilot who needs to do more solo circuit consolidation.

The new year looks promising, only 5 days old and I am already agreeing with Bose-X, what is the world coming to!

It may also be pedantic but the 152 does not have a crosswind LIMIT it has a demonstarted crosswird component NOT a LIMIT. And my POH says 17 KNOTS..... DEMONSTRATED.
There are a gazillion threads on crosswinds etc.

The demonstrated crosswind is exactly that. It ain't a limit, it is nothing legal other than a certification requirement.

At best it is some guidance.

Happy (crosswind) landings.