PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Court Martial of American Officer for refusing to serve in Iraq
Old 5th Jan 2007, 13:46
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by SaddamsLoveChild
1.Chugalug: He will get no sympathy from me.
2.If an individual is in uniform he does his masters bidding,
3. He deserves what he gets, he is there to lead troops and they rely on him - its called' sense of duty'.
SLC, Fair enough,
1. I merely suggested the possibility that he might have your sympathy as you guys had (unusually from my generation) expressed pointed criticism of the orders that you had acted under, and still are for that matter.
2. Yes but not without limit, even MAFL (or whatever your legal bible is now) covers that. After all we hung people at Nurnburg for the self same reason.
3. I think he is quite probably resigned to what he gets. As for his sense of duty, that is precisely what landed him in this.

On the whole I agree with your position, and hasten to say that I was never placed in the unenviable position that you and your ilk have been. Like the majority of the civilian population my overwhelming emotion is one of admiration for the way our servicemen and women have conducted themselves in harm's way, trying to give the moderate inhabitants of that benighted land some hope for the future, while contesting those who would deny them that. I salute you all. I condemn the administration that placed you in that ambiguous position, and the Chiefs of Staff who allowed them to do it and could have derailed this if they had the guts. I suspect that they knew then, what we all know now, that you were sent to war on a tissue of lies.