PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting times in Aussie SAR/EMS
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2007, 06:27
RWJackOfAllTrades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shortarz...I can only go on what I hear and read and by the sounds of it, most aircrewman in EMS/SAR in Australia are basically non-flying co-pilots, or heading that way...its been an evoluntionary process as the machines and missions undertaken have become more advanced and difficult respectively.

I personally think the days of having a sole pilot and a sole aircrewman working separately in the machine are slowly coming to an end ie having a bloke at the sharp end and one at the blunt end and never the two jobs shall mix...they are limited as the game has changed over the years and these guys and girls are flying more missions, some of which have a much higher risk profile then years before. From a basic CRM perspective, this alone has made significant changes to flight safety and I am sure the next step in this evoluntionary process for these types of operators is to be trained to a higher standard for their role. If that means learning to fly, then it means learning to fly.

I think that aircrewies at EMQ are being offered a pretty good opportunity to advanced themselves professionally and anything thrown at me by a company to better by skills and possibly my earning potential, I am all for it. Some people embrace change better then others, and it might just be that some people do not like change and like things just the way they are. Others are all for being taken out of their comfort zone.

Look around the world and have a look at what most of the really good operators are doing. They are training ALL personnel who fly on a machine to be more aware of, and proactive towards contributing to flight safety, from police observers to flight nurses to regular pax who charter aircraft and conduct some form of airwork.

At the end of the day, its an opportunity worth $45,000 odd dollars per person for training being offered to these operators which provides for some professional development and improved safety for all concerned...the PIC, the Aircrew Officer/Co-pilot, the medical staff onboard, the patient, the patients relatives etc etc. I still think good on this organisation for making some very positive changes towards bettering the overall EMS/SAR side of Australian EMS/SAR and the industry as a hole.