PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 5th Jan 2007, 03:43
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bomarc
as the builder of the part of the rudder actuator has taken the lion's share of the liability in the pittsburgh crash, and that the FAA has mandated that there be a "fix" to the rudder problem ( in this case a radio altimeter input to reduce hydraulic pressure to the rudder above 700'agl) I think that we can gather that the rudder was the problem.
Yes, the rudder pressue is reduced to about half - unless there is an engine problem during takeoff. If that happens, the reduction does not occur. But as for "gathering that the rudder was the problem," that may be going just a bit far. Here is link to an FAA document that was published approximately 6 years ago. The contents of this FAA Bulletin contain a lot more of the detail in what was decided and how the facts were going to be dealt with regarding the B-737 "rudder issues." You can judge for yourself.
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/e...a/Fsga0009.doc
as to mountain wave in the colorado springs tragedy, it is up to you to decide for yourself.
I'd go along with that recommendation.
I've decided that the rudder is a POS
I'm sure we're all glad to know of your decision.