PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS question for an IRE
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2007, 02:06
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure it does tin.

Its part of your standard kit. And I presume you have all the nice approaches pre loaded into the database.

If the aircraft was fitted with a Trimble I would be more than happy to use it.
As long as I could reach the sodding thing. And as you can't use it when you really want it why bother?

We still need VOR/ILS/DME/ADF.

Its more a case of if you arn't up to speed on the beast that the problems may occur. And to get up to speed its costing you 250 quid+ hour and adds an extra work load to the getting back up to speed IR flying learning curve. If you haven't used one before or its been ages since you used one just give the examiner the min that they require. The test will never get easier they will just expect a better performance in the other areas. If its there and working and you don't use it it could be a mark down. If its tech jobs a good-un.

I must admit though after a fair few hours of steam driven instruments IR flying wth a Trimble I might be a little bit bias about sticking to what I know works. The Garmin range is pretty state of the art compared to alot of kit in commercial use in the UK in steam cockpits.