PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merpati & Garuda pilots flying with MAS?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2001, 20:46
Bokomoko

Thumbs up

Slasher, very interesting your point of view however I think you aren't entirely right. I have many examples that competence (or lack of it) isn't an atribute of just some people. Some years ago I was sent to the USA to bring two B737-300 leased to my airline. First I had to make 2 flight tests and the lessor contracted 3 experienced American B737 captains for those flights. They were from a large B737 operator. During the flights, for my surprise, I realized that they didn't know how to operate some basic automatic pilot and auto-throttles features, were confused with some operating limitations and use of the QRH or apprehensive when I requested to make an autolanding using max auto brakes (it was funny because the airplane stopped completely on the runway and initially they didn't know how to react to avoid that silly situation and the tower was requesting to speed up the taxi). These are some small parts of a long journey. Weren't they good pilots? No, absolutely not. Why? Because some operations weren't in their SOP but they were routine for me.
In my opinion the best way (and more honest approach) to check anyone is to give first a preparation for the procedures that you want to see, even basic ones, than later give a "verdict" that they are prepared or not for the job. As you wrote, those guys had good qualities in certain aspects and a lot of things to learn, but it insn't only an Indo pilots special quality.
Regards.