PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter specific advice on ANR Headsets?
Old 4th Jan 2007, 18:00
regency

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulSA
Howzit everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on ANR headsets, which ones are any good - with coiled cables/NATO single plugs?

Seems to me Bose X and David Clark X11 might be a good bet, but (wow) bose seem expensive, and i'm not sure the new DC's come with helicopter plugs etc?

Any Thoughts? Cant find any really good reviews out there....
Everything depends on what aircraft you fly. The Bose is much much better than David Clarck's however, ANR is like GPS they all work about the same on the inside. Bose will not provide their range because they know it is exactly the same as everyone else.

What is important is what aircraft your flying. Bose dose not provide an attenuation switch like DC this will cost you an additional 185 US dollars if you fly two different type aircraft one high and one low impedance. Now, if your flying an older Bell ie, 412 or 212 or 205 series forget about it! No ANR is going to work well and you will eat up batteries. The reason is the constant pressure change when you fly with the window open. A 212 is worse than the 412 but any helicopter that you fly with the window open the ANR is almost worthless and actually causes noise because it is fighting the pressure changing very time one of those blades passes by. So, if you flying with a window open save your money.

Now, if you flying an SK76 or AW139 or a jet or anything with the windows closed then go for the Bose, it is so comfortable and so light it is so worth the 1,000 bucks you have to spend. The Bose will make the voices so much more clear so if you were a bad boy and didn't ware plugs when you had the chance and now have hearing loss the Bose is your best chance.

I hope this info helps. It's all about the aircraft your flying.