PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS question for an IRE
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2007, 16:35
IRRenewal

Beacon Outbound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, it has been the case that autopilot use is not only allowed but expected on IR renewals for many years if the aircraft being used is equipped with one.
Yes and no. I'd expect my candidate to be able to use any piece of kit installed in the aircraft if it is his/her own and I'd like to see this demonstrated in some form or another (with me sitting there thinking 'I didn't know you could do that on such and so GPS').

If it is a hired aircraft I take a different view. If the candidate tells me that he/she is not familiar with for instance the A/P installed in a 30 year old light twin and prefers to fly manually, I would be the last person to insist on it being switched on. If you have ever been in the situation where a malfunctioning A/P tried to turn to blue side down and the brown side up you will understand why.

GPS is fine, but not when you are trying to demostrate to me you can track a needle (as in holding, which still has to be done on a needle representation for some unknown reason).

When it comes to 'switching off' the GPS, there is absolutely no need to pull the circuit breaker. Something like a GNS430 has about 500000 different screens and menus you can display. Only one of those is a moving map. I just switch away from that, Lat and Long is always a good one. If you have the mental capacity to do anything with that information while you are flying than you are free to make use of it.

Gerard