PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC story on poor Armed Forces Accommodation
Old 4th Jan 2007, 13:43
SirToppamHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proletarian makes a good point about the differing priorities (and funding levels) applied by the 3 services to their own areas of interest. However, the DHE (now DE(HD)) have been running the show on the FQ side for quite some time now and we ought to be seeing some standardisation.

That said, I have nothing but contempt for Portillo and his lackeys, who allowed the vast majority of the MQ estate to be sold for peanuts in the mid-90s, and in many areas this is biting us in the arse - especially with the policy of releasing a percentage (10%?) of the FQs we have each year. Stn cdrs are coming under pressure at some units to identify FQs they don't need.

When I was at High Wycombe, the Stn Cdr (a wg cdr) was so fed up with the DHE that he personally took responsibility for the air ranks and gp capts so they didn't have to deal with DHE themselves. Anyone else had to report stuff in the usual way. Came home one day to find our oil-fired boiler had been condemned during a routine safety inspection as it was leaking carbon monoxide into the house (which explained my kids' headaches). DHE refused to replace it for 6 weeks because we had an immersion heater and coal fire - hardly practical with 3 children, one aged 2! When I mentioned it to the 1* he said he had never had any problems with DHE - I wonder why?

On the SLA side, the MoD will point to Project SLAM, which was intended to provide modern accommodation for our people, but has cost an absolute fortune (I have heard several figures varying from £30K to £70K per room). If anyone has the correct figures, please post them, I am sure they will be of interest, but considering the MoD already own the land (said to be more than 50% of the cost of a new house), how on earth did they come up with these costs? They would have been better building 'off-the-shelf' Travel Lodges. I am sure these would have been more than acceptable for the the vast majority of ranks!

Fundamentally, though, the MoD is broke, so don't expect much - it's nice to hear someone at the top speak out though.

STH