PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC story on poor Armed Forces Accommodation
Old 4th Jan 2007, 13:15
Antique Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to see the media highlighting the poor standard of service accommodation.

MQs at a certain secret Wiltshire airbase are in a similar state of repair - I have heard reports of families waiting for up to 18 months for general repairs to be carried out, shoddy and even dangerous workmanship. A colleague of mine with two small children was left with no heating or hot water for two weeks over the Christmas period even though temperatures dropped below freezing!

I know many will say that you can always buy your own house - but how many serviceman can afford their own property close to their place of work? Why should we spend money on a property we only live in for 6 months a year?

Yes our rent probably is lower than the civilian market but I still pay around £400 per month (plus uitilities) for my antiquated, un-modernised and below standard FMQ. There is no money for improvements - I have a kitchen, bathroom and plumbing that date from the 1950's and have constantly been told that they will be improved when the budget allows -so far I have been waiting 8 years!!

We expect a decent level of housing, nothing special - just up-to date, warm and with working amenities, for our families while we risk life and limb for our country! Is this too much too ask?

If our lords and masters are worried about recruiting and retention they should start to pay more attention to our poor living standards.

Why waste £30 billion on a Trident replacement? - use that to improve our kit and accommodation and maybe even sell a few Typhoons so we can all have new kitchens, bathrooms, carpets, cheaper utility bills and housing of an acceptable standard.