PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you really Want to Do This...??
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2007, 11:35
horseshoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wannabe a pilot-yes I do!

There seem to be a lot of disgruntled pilots on this site and give off a lot of negativity. No the industry may not be what it used to be, but neither is any industry. All companies seem to want to get what they can from their staff and not pay for their services. A relative used to have a very cushy milk round, did approximately 3-6hrs a day and made a decent living from it, the company decided to go franchise and because he had done nothing else and too frightened to do anything else opted to go for the franchise. Over the years the milkman ‘profession’ has declined, consequently, he is doing long hours, not making the money, never has any time off because he will not earn any money, to me that’s a tough job for little or no reward, there isn’t even any job satisfaction for the little reward! Yes you have early starts, long hours, lates then earlies then back to lates blah blah but I bet a lot of people would rather be a pilot than a milkman so know which side your bread is buttered and think about all the people who admire you for the job you do, at the end of the day no matter what profession you are in we will moan about certain aspects, that is human nature, its easier to look on the negative than the positive.

I have set my heart on becoming a pilot as I now work in an office and know that to spend the rest of my working days filing, photocopying, interviewing, disciplinaries, blah blah (need I go on?) would drive me insane. Any job that is worth doing will always be a difficult and competitive market, there will be the more qualified, the ones who can b***s**t a little bit better but etc… I believe if you work hard enough for something and pursue it long enough and if employers can see that commitment then you will get the break that you deserve eventually.

So, wannabes, discover your dream, if in time you decide that it actually isn’t for you then at least you can say you gave it your best shot. Pilots, thanks for the realism advice we appreciate it but do we really want our dreams trodden on before we have even started, life is about learning and making mistakes- you are a long time dead!

Horseshoe