PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learning to fly, it's hard!
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2007, 09:47
the dean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PompeyPaul
Dunno why I'm positing this. My first FI said "just keep trying to enjoy your flying" and now I understand why. The whole thing is feeling like to much. I'm going to stick at it, but I'm hoping it's like learning to drive. You'll have times where you wonder if you'll ever get the hang of it.

I just had no idea that learning to fly was SO difficult. Goodness knows how those people in the states get a PPL in 3 weeks flat!

hi paul...

to be honest neither do i...when you have said it all yourself and so has your wise instructor...

and for gods sake throw away all but your first book on aerodynamics.stop reading books about air law at this stage.there will come a time for that.

you are overloading yourself...to the point where YOU are making difficult something which IS NOT in itself difficult.

you are learning to fly...that means how the plane flies...how it / you act and react in the air and all which that entails.that is enough for the moment. the great thi9ng about learning to fly is that it is essentially ( at your stage ) a very practical thing and most of us were very grateful for that ( unless you like theory ).

in a few hours things will ( even as you say you are now finding ) start falling into place.

you have enough to do at the moment with understandiong and handling. leave any more theory for later.there will come a time for exams and books.at that stage you will not be concerned with handling as is will come second nature.

if you try to crowd too much useless ( at this stage ) information at this important time your understanding of the flying side may suffer...thus delaying your progress.

as the instructor said..try to enjoy what you are doing. your flying will be the better for it.

ok...now back to the basics...the effect of controls..

very soon you will be introduced to the circuit and how exciting that is...

we all have good days and bad days...but thats all part of the fun.

gear up...

the dean.