PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 22:40
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From before I started passenger flying, I was taught in BOAC to 'go easy on the rudder', it is for engine failure, not for flying the plane. I was taught it at flying school- always be ginger on the rudder, it's not stressed to take misuse. Frankly it is so ingrained I cannot conceive of people using it like in this example. I have been caught flying along a 747 vortex after Canarsie on a Canarsie approach in a VC10. It took most aileron to hold it- I didn't touch the rudder. A pilot who thinks he can apply rudder control as in this case has controlled way outside design parameters and I consider has had a significant part of his flying education and experience missed or ignored. I'm sorry to be brutal, but no pilot flying a passenger jet should have missed this point. I know all my colleagues at a big British Airline have been brought up with this. We have had significant jet upsets for various reasons. All have apparently flown and recovered correctly and 'let it go' rather than bully the thing with overcontrol to get it to do what they desire. I think constantly trying to defend the indefensible and plead ignorance will not instill confidence in the flying public.