PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimium Duration of CIR flight test
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 22:00
Capt Fathom

Received 170 Likes on 87 Posts
I am not sure how you could spend 3 hrs in the air on an initial issue or 2 hours in the air for a renewal, unless you have a chunk of enroute time between aerodromes/aids/approaches.
It is my opinion that the initial test has a lot to do with the enroute stage!

The objective is to access your ability in planning and executing an IFR flight from A to B to C etc. Flying around the terminal area from aid to aid will show your ability to do approaches.

But the enroute stuff can be tricky. Changing wx, turbulence, icing, lots of traffic and comms to deal with, and 'your passenger' suddenly deciding they want to bypass C and go to D instead!

As an example, one of the planned stops on my test was to a dirt strip without a navaid (some examiners had a warped sense of humour). No GPS, and no GRID LSALTS on the RNCs in those days! You had to get it from the wac.

Most people will use the test to get endorsed on as many navaids as possible, therefore a bit of aid-hopping will be involved. Once you're through the initial, and have a couple of renewals behind you, most examiners will keep it practical and brief!