PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fleet grounded at 7kts??
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 17:47
XL319

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by captainflash
Surely we should plan to forecasts, and evaluate the weather in realtime. If the club had said the forecasts show the crosswind component outwith the limits of the aircraft and or yourself during the morning, then thats fair.They shouldn't say no flying until the booking time comes up. Due to the nature of the weather things change! Warning you that its highly unlikely is both good practice and fair.

If you however wait until your booking time and the wind has died to a mere 7knots crosswind component and they are happy to lend you an aircraft with that in mind, one should be able too.

Not hiring because a forecast said it could have been 16 knots is crazy. I had a perfect example last week.

I fly from a private strip in Scotland, wind was forecast 18knots cross wind component at mid-day, decaying to approx 12 by tea time. I thought 'oh bugger' no flying for me and went out to the airfield at 1pm to tidy the hangar. The wind was approx 5 knots across the runway and the trend to decay was still forecast. Incedentally our strip is approx 5miles from a major airport which also had the same wind conditions.

Sounds like some club busy-body taking things too literally. Ie a jobsworth who believes because a forecast is made at 3.30am in the morning it must be abided by all day. . . things change. The chaps in the met office agree and are always on the end of the phone . . . call them and look at your windsock!
Exactly my point Capt Flash