PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SA Flying schools and Jobs in Nam/Bots
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 14:01
Saffa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPL in South Africa.

Hi all...

I am planning to do my CPL in South Africa. I plan to (in 18 months time) to go to Wonderboom in Pta, at one of the schools there. They have a tower, and it is relatively (30 ks) from home. All the schools have sort of the same prices, and I have allready sort of made up my mind with wich one to go.

Now.

I have saved enough to do the PPL. This will be early in August 2008. (Long time away!) But to get the rest of the 150 grand to do the CPL is another story. Is it worth making a loan at a bank etc, to do it that way? Is there any other South Africans that went that route? And on the other hand, will I be able to have a life after, without being crippled by debt?

I have no idea what pilots get payed, but it SOUNDS like (from people I have talked to etc) that I can maby get 8-9k a month in the beginning? This is from being a instructor (while I build hours)

Is the future viable for me afterwards? I am now 28, and is hartily sick and tired of sitting behind a keyboard. I am doing graphics for computer games, and has achieved what I set out to do when I was 18. And, my salary has peaked, and I cannot see it going above what I earn now, unless I got up to management, but that is even MORE sitting behind a keyboard.

So in essence, is there any South African pilots that has walked the same route? Do you guys have problems with AA? The loans? The job security afterwards? (terrorists, fuel prices, and government allowing) I am quite serious about this. I am living in the UK now, and would it be preferable to do it here? (it is more expensive!) And is there any chance of sponsorship as well in SA? I will be 30 when I start training! But I cannot see myself doing what I do now, but I can always 'fall back' on my current job. (But I do not want to!)

So I am desperate to hear from fellow South Africans that took the same route as I am planning. The sooner I can cap the gaping holes in the plan, the better.

Thanks in advance, I really apreciate it.

Saffa