PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Minimium Duration of CIR flight test
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 03:43
Ratshit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The duration of the test depends on whether it is for an initial issue or renewal of a rating.
 For initial issues, the ground component usually takes an hour, while the flight
component takes 2½ to 3 hours.
 For renewals, the ground component averages 20 minutes and the test 1½ to 2 hours."

I am not sure how you could spend 3 hrs in the air on an initial issue or 2 hours in the air for a renewal, unless you have a chunk of enroute time between aerodromes/aids/approaches.

Having a bunch of approaches close by certainly maxes out the workload for the victim - but does minimise the "wasted" time between approaches. Although I sometimes curse it when up-to-my-eyeballs-in-it, on later reflection it seems to me to be a good test of one's ability to keep it together under pressue - and that has to be a good test for the aspiring IFR pilot - cause being single pilot IFR in the sh*t can certainly get the adrenaline flowing.

Don't you just love it when, rattling down the ILS on one engine (of two), and about as you get to the middle marker the guy in the tower gives you a non-standard long-winded missed approach clearance?

If you were on one engine for real, you would just say "shut the f*ck up and let me fly this thing!"

At least the days are a thing of the past when a renewal meant that you most likely ended up on partial panel with only the DME left to find your way home and get down.

R