PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My experience of the physical effects of a rapid decompression & emergency descent.
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 02:58
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greybeard
In real lfe I had an outflow valve problem in a small Exec Jet, at 43000, cabin going up at 2500'/min, I got to 9500' rate of descent and met the cabin at about 22000 feet.
The pain was 20 on a scale of 10, head rang for days, was able to get it all sorted in a low traffic foreign Country, NEVER AGAIN I hope
Be safe
greybeard may well recall that a group of our colleagues were close to roasted alive in the same aircraft when the cabin received full HP bleed air following a pneumatic controller failure (or was that after you put up your famous "Will fly for food" sign in the crew room?). The temperature was so extreme that it melted the plastic Jeppessen Nav Bag, God only knows what the crew went through. I souvenired the Nav bag as a reminder of what can go wrong.

In the simulator, it's simply an "Oh, we have a warning, check list please" situation, try emulating the Sauna++++ temperatures in the same simulator exercises and see how well the crew handle it!

Regards,

Old Smokey