PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilotless airliner.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 02:22
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David_Lid Air
Humans make errors, but does that mean that we shall be replaced by computers and robots?
I think that we at some point will dig our own grave with our love for automation.
60% human errors yes, but in how many cases are there only one cause for an accident? there is a chain of errors that leads to disaster and not only the 2/3 persons sitting up front. One wonder who they are going to blame if they cannot blame the pilots
I will not place my butt on an airliner without a pilot, that is for sure.
I can leave a seat for those who are so eager to sit in a tube controlled entirely by a computers.
It is pretty funny that people think that airliners without a human pilot is no big deal, especially these days when trains and boats still are controlled by people and not computers .
A very good point David, pilots fly aircraft, thus the 60% of accidents attributed to them are attributed to Pilot Error.

Humans programme computers, will the accident reports some decades into the future be attributed to Programmer Error.

Note that this post is being submitted by someone who is both a pilot and a serious aviation computer programmer. I make more mistakes at the key-board than I do in the cockpit

Regards,

Old Smokey