PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK - Why bother?!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2007, 16:59
TangoUniform

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gj18457
Perhaps TU you could enlighten us all as to what type of flying you are doing in these 75 hrs a month.Are you a family man or single? Are you a Capt or a F.O? Maybe you are so rested as you dont live in a construction area.Which type of airlines are you comparing EK to.Once you clarify that and probably that you have been in DXB for less than 18 mths we might listen to what you have to say.
Dick could you please re-write your last post so that it makes some sense.
What other type of flying is at EK? Mostly long haul, some daily turns. Some Europe, some Middle East, some night Indias. What difference does my opinion of the company whether I am single or married? What difference does it make (other than money) if I am flying left or right seat?

I will tell you what kind of airlines I am comparing EK to. The kind where you fly six sectors a day in and out of a major hub airport and change aircraft everytime passing through the hub, where in the winter you are deicing several times a day and in the summer you are dodging TRWs all day long. I am comparing EK to airlines where you fly a four day trip, fly anywhere from 4-15 sectors, depending on the type of aircraft, getting to cheap hotels and getting a whole 8-10 hours rest all for 20 hours of flight time. And this includes duty rigs of 1:3.5 or 1:4.

No, I haven't been here quite 18 months, and perhaps my opinion will change, but right now-I haven't been on a layover for less than 24 hours, okay, maybe 22, I haven't had any major maintenance delays over one hour and have never had more than two ADDs. Compare that with airlines in the U.S., airlines in Latin and South America, and some of the European LCCs.

Is EK a dream job? Hell no, but it is a lot better than many and job security goes a long way. Staff travel could be a lot better, (unlimited free perhaps), jump seat availability, and of course better pay. But doesn't that hold true for just about every airline? But this isn't the sh*t job everyone here seems to say it is. Could there be improvements? Of course, especially in the training "arena". And I call it the arena since it seems to be adverserial. But fatigue? Please..........Maybe back off a couple of pints on layovers.

So please tell the ignorant (me) the airlines that offer an upgrade in 3-4 years to a 777, and offer better pay, and provide full housing (not an allowance) provide more than adequate health care and one doesn't have to live in a smog infested, middle of the jungle hootch. 'Cause I will be happy to find a better paying job with the job security that EK offers. I really don't want to live in Mumbai, Seoul, Hanoi, Almaty, or go through six months of ground school on an aircraft I am qualified on (ANA).

TU