PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 5
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 5
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2007, 02:02
ncleflights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by transwede
That is very true. EK have an excellent network ex DXB so the likelihood of AI/PK would be slim and personally wouldn't like to see an inbound AI flight being processed through NCL. The airport can barely cope with the current SFB/YYZ services. Hope plans are in place for EK service, immigration counters, lounges etc.

On another note, heres a review of 2006, all in all hasn't been a bad year for expansion at NCL, with numerous new services started or been announced.

Jet2.com to BGO, KRK, LEI, VLC, PMI, AGP, LGW and CMF.
Eastern to CWL.
EI to DUB.
TOM to LXR.
Aer Arran to GWY.
Flybe to LIG.
Ryanair to GRO.
Easy to MAH and KRK.
GSM to YHM.
TCX to YYZ.

And we've lost a couple of EZY routes, INV from T3 and BA to LGW.
Ryanair also announced in early December that ncl would loose the Oslo Torp route.

I also have to agree with your previous post that some of the route suggestions are getting a bit far fetched. Very Slim chance of Virgin, they may dable in a limited service to Orlando as they do at Glasgow. However I would think this unlikely given that in the last few years the number of flights to Orlando has dropped down to just one per week, does anyone know why? It was not that long ago we had 4 flights per week in the Summer and one in the Winter from Newcastle to Orlando. Did pax figures become so low?

The airline industry press have also been quite good at rumours about new routes from Newcastle. Some of the ones I can remember from 2006 both include possible operators to SFB including flyglobespan and travelcity direct. Both these rumours amounted to nothing. Indeed a contact I have at XL airways (prev travelcity) told me that they have moved away from considering a 747 operating from NCL and instead are looking at putting the aircraft into Durham Tees Valley for Summer 08.