PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus - Flap FULL or Flap 3??
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2007, 00:06
747dieseldude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no 'bus driver, but since I think the question is fitting to all airplanes with choice of landing flaps, I will offer my view.

Lower flap setting gives you less drag, hence less engine power required, hence less noise. On our airplane in very heavy landing weights we MUST use flap 25 (instead of 30) in order to still be stage III.

Lower flap setting gives you a higher nose attitude. This is an advantage at very low weights, when the nose attitude is low to begin with, and the aircraft tends to 'float' during the flare. I find it makes a low-weight landing easier.

For the case of expected windshear, although this is not the SOP for us, reduced flaps will be superior, since you have better performance, and you are not allowed to change configuration during the recovery maneuver. Also added approach speed for gust compensation might sometimes at heavy weights put you close or above the max flap limit speed. Same is true for some hydraulic / flight control failures that require higher approach speed.

My philosophy is, unless you have a good reason (less crab on crosswind is not a good reason), use max flaps.

Happy Landings and Happy New Year