PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IHST Interim Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2007, 16:37
zalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JG

1 - SMS is probably as per the defined 'recommended practice' just introduced into ICAO Annex 6 that becomes an international 'standard' in 2009. Transport Canada have been pretty active and have introduced regulations already. Hopefully other countries will learn from TC's mistakes.

2 - The big IHST idea seems to be that the IHST project itself takes the collective lead. There doesn't seem to be much stomach in the FAA for taking action from what I heard at HAI. The NTSB briefly looked like it might while Dick Healing was on the Board.

JG 2 & Rev 6
I think it is a little unrealistic for them to hope for an 80% reduction in accidents within 10 years if so many of the interim recommendations are to gather more data on future accidents and also flying hours (no 3) to get accident rates. It does rather undermine the analysis done to date if there are so many unknowns.

They make a good point that if there is to be thought to fitting recorders, then applying fixed wing crash standards will make them too heavey & costly for the majority of helicopters.

Unless thy can get true lightweight, low cost semi-hardened recorders, if they want to meet their target I tend to agree with Revolutionary that if extra kit is to be fitted on aircraft it should be to increase the safety of the aircraft its fitted to NOT to increase the safety of other aircraft IF that aircraft has an accident (which in the US is still dependent on the NTSB actually becoming more active in the investigations).

Having said that there are many 'unexplained' accidents, especially offshore. The NTSB board have just issued the probable cause for this GOM 206L3 accident which killed 3 in Jun 2005.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...06FAMS1&rpt=fa
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?...06FAMS1&rpt=fi

After 14 months all they can manage is:

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows. Undetermined. The aircraft is missing.

Pretty pathetic.