PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAE tax ??? for Canadians
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2007, 09:40
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do believe Canadian tax laws are quite beneficial in some ways but very ambiguous which could cause problems down the road. If you have no financial ties whatsoever then it seems you are laughing. This includes no bank accounts unless for valid reasons such as for a rental property investment. No health insurance which is understandable, a drivers licence is listed as one item that is questionable as well. Your RRSP's are no problem whatsoever I'm told, but other investments could be a problem. The beauty of the system is that if you are able and willing to severe all financial ties, then no taxes are required. I know of a few Canucks who have gone thru the process of obtaining a letter from the canadian tax people stating 'non-residency' with respect to tax purposes, but they are in the minority.
I get the general feeling that the government is not to be trusted if things are somewhat fuzzy in your personal case. It seems to me that the rulings will be based on individual cases and as such, the wording and requirements are somewhat vague. Kind of reminds me of the FTL's here at EK, haha. At least you won't have to pay taxes based on a salary above a certain level like some of our colleagues (eg Americans I believe) if you obtain non-residency status for tax purposes.

With over 150 canadian pilots at EK alone, it would not surprise me if the government took a real close look at them once they start trickling back to Canada in the future. This is where the ambiguity could bite you unless you basically severe financial ties for the required time frame (at least 2 years and up until your return)