PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus technology defects
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2007, 07:42
boeingdriverx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that introduction of a new technology will always have its infancy problems... look at the introduction of the first jets... Same thing here with Airbus airplanes and the introduction of the Fly By Wire technology. Nowadays I think that most of the 'bugs' are fixed and this generation of airplane is very nice, enjoyable and safe to fly.

My point of view on the Habsheim crash is better described by the following FCOM 1.27.20 p3 paragraph:

"FLARE MODE: (...) as the aircraft descend through 30ft, the system begins to reduce the pitch attitude, reducing it to 2 degres nose down over a period of 8 seconds"

I am not going to discuss the good or the bad of doing flypasts in an airliner full of passenger... But look carefully at this FCOM paragraph and you will understand that this airplane was already in FLARE mode (DFDR data shows RA less than 30ft at some point) and introduced a pitch down moment exactly when the pilot needed the opposite. Pilot lack of knowledge? Airbus bad design? it is a mix of both who made this airplane crash.

Did Airbus change the logic of these modes after this crash? I have honestly no idea. But the latter Flight Controls designs on the A330 and A340 show lots of differrences compared to the initial A320 design. On the 330/340 no more FACs or ELACs but 3 PRIMs and 2 SECs... Most of the functions remaining the same (alpha prot / alpha floor / high speed prot etc.)

Flypasts at 20ft in the simulator will be worth trying... If I have a chance to do it, I will let you know.

Happy new year
BD