PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is a 337 a twin?
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2006, 21:40
Counter-rotation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start off the new year with a long post...

My thoughts on the original questions are:
1) My thoughts would be that you log C337 (or any other "centre line thrust multi engine a/c") time in the multi column of your logbook. Can't speak for NZ rules...
2) You need an endorsement on it because the regulator says so. (You need an endoresement on any type/class you fly. It just so happens that the class endoresement you received with your licence covers most things you fly early on - <5700 kg; piston; single.)
Further, to reiterate previous posts, the privelege of a single engine instrument rating is sufficient to fly this particular beast IFR. Convntional twins are perfectly symmetrical until something goes wrong. It has been said (and I can tend to agree) that engine failure in a C337 can be more dangerous than in a conventional twin. The only real difference I see is in the immediate reaction to the assymetric induced yaw of the a/c - and that should be more or less instinctive (but not rushed). After that its the same replanning etc.
I have heard about guys in C337's attempting takeoff with only one (the front) engine running?
What an employer asks for may seem stupid, but it is their prerogative. If you have C337 time in your multi total don't "hide" this fact. If you have an IFR-CME then you are qualified to fly "conventional" twins IFR. There is then min time on type requirements for commercial ops elsewhere (CAO Sec 82).
Happy New Year
CR.

Last edited by Counter-rotation; 2nd Jan 2007 at 16:26. Reason: to remove ill considered, possible insult