PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 31st Dec 2006, 17:24
Mad (Flt) Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scurvy.D.Dog
so what is happening to prevent a reoccurrence .... training pilots not to use rudder to correct perceived yaw/roll in wake conditions??
.. aircraft control systems/sensitivity and structure are all A OK then I assume?!
Well, amongst other things that have happened (references are to the NTSB recommendations in the accident report)...

All the OEMs have put some kind of warning about excessive control use in their flight manuals, I believe.(A-04-59)
Pilots are now, I hope, much more aware that control inputs below VA are not necessarily within the design envelope. (A-04-60)
The AA training programme was, I believe, reviewed.(A-04-61/62)
All the major manufacturers were asked (required?) to check their structure against manoeuvres more like the AA587 one (rudder doublets)
NTSB (or FAA? - I forget) has been requesting info from all the OEMs regarding rudder system characteristics.(Those last two for A-04-56 and -57, I believe)

So it is conceivable that a change to the regulations will eventually be forthcoming, though I expect it will be concerned with issues of control sensitivity, not the structural design criteria.