PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Insurance
Thread: Insurance
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2006, 14:11
ChampChump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is meant kindly, Louis, honestly, but may well read otherwise owing to my lack of tact.

If you are thinking of starting a business, even an aviation related business, is this a good place for basic information? I hope you are rummaging elsewhere more appropriate to the business end of your plans as well!
I am all for encouraging enterprise, but you have two major things against you as far as I can tell: age and experience. True, there are exceptions to the first and you may have the art of a young Branson, but can you persuade the hard-nosed wrinklies who control finances that you have what it takes?

Experience: do you have any work experience in the insurance business? Would you consider serving some time to gain it? Many of those in the business are there as a result of branching out on their own after considerable time working for others. Would you have the contacts and credibility of your more experienced competition with their decades of dealing?

If you can produce all the business plans to give positives to those sort of questions, you still need to put yourself in the worn-out shoes of the impoverished customer. I can just about afford to fly an aeroplane which is the only one thing in my life that is almost irreplaceable - and because of the 'almost' I insure it, not just because it's now compulsory. (The other few things I value can't be replaced so insurance is n/a). I might be tempted to approach another company but it's not just about the premium.
I want a good deal, of course, but I also value reputation, experience and service. Loyalty also plays a part in ones dealings. Which means that there's an element of luck involved too: if I find a company I like, I'll probably stick with them.

It's a bit of a vicious circle, I know, but you are up against this sort of thinking. I can't possibly speak for others who own any sort of aircraft and have probably presumed too much, for which I apologise.

It's to your credit that you have enthusiasm and ideas, both of which may well prove my doubts unworthy. I don't want to pour gallons of cold water on your ideas, but state what is probably already blinkin' obvious, just in case it isn't.

Good luck.
CC