PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gay recruitment drive by RAF
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2006, 11:19
Ken Scott

Received 146 Likes on 28 Posts
Clearly their Lordships don't have enough real issues to concern themselves with - inadequate numbers of mostly outdated aircraft, poor retention of personnel fed up with endless detachments to the desert, lack of spares etc. If there are as many homosexuals in the forces as quoted (12000 - presumeably worked out using the standard perceived 6% of the population) then we already have our 'quota'. Targeting the gay community to boost recruitment will not solve the manning problem, as they will still be affected by all the same issues as affect everyone in the military. Gay or straight, people are fed up with the same things, namely inadequate resources, excessive tasking, & the poor leadership that contributes to that situation.

I'd rather see the money spent on the things we need, not on PC window-dressing, & I reckon that most of the non-heterosexual members of the armed forces would agree with me. I can't believe they would want to be fast-tracked in their careers on the basis of their sexuality alone.