PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 30th Dec 2006, 20:08
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to ask future contributors to this thread to read NTSB report before contributing, thank you. It might help with improving signal-to-noise ratio.

If you're just reading this thread and wondering WTH was all rant in previous posts about, let me clear some misconceptions: AA587's fin wasn't ripped off by wake turbulence, it didn't fail because it was too weak and it wasn't rudder input alone that tore it either. It failed because of overload which was caused by massive sideslip and rudder deflection. Sideslip was created by rapidly alternating rudder movements. Examination of wreckage, FDR data, witnesses and airplane characteristics lead NTSB to conclusion that rudder input was commanded by PF, and not a result of control circuit failure.

Fact that American Airlines' Advanced Manuevering Programme was given FlightSafety award five days before the accident is quite ironic. Couple of posters are correct in noting that it never advocated alternating rudder inputs and always taught that rudder inputs should be smooth and coordinated but here's wher the problem lies. AAAMP's notion that rudder should be, under some circumstances, be used as primary flight control caused mr. Boeing and mr. Airbus to go apoplectic as this was one use of the rudder they never envisaged on airplanes they've made.

On a personal note I'd like to give you a qoute very fitting for this sad case:
Whenever we talk about a pilot who has been killed in a flying accident, we should all keep one thing in mind. He called upon the sum of all his knowledge and made a judgment. He believed in it so strongly that he knowingly bet his life on it. That his judgment was faulty is a tragedy, not stupidity. Every instructor, supervisor, and contemporary who ever spoke to him had an opportunity to influence his judgment, so a little bit of all of us goes with every pilot we lose.
This is from http://www.skygod.com/quotes/safety.html Don't be put off by a cheesy URL, the site is a real gem.