PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA IR issues
Thread: BA IR issues
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2006, 12:23
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maus
Carnage-Matey: BASSA is not a few militant people in an office, but representatives of the cabin crew community. So it is incorrect to say that we have not met BA management halfway on some issues: Our reps urged us not to accept the EG300 (turns out they were correct), but we as a union agreed to have it implemented; our reps urged those as LGW not to accept the SF-LGW, but we agreed to it (again, to our peril); post Sept 11th, we as a union agreed to help cut costs by signing up to the TEMPORARY removal of a crew member from our longhaul aircraft - and that has become a PERMANENT removal, bringing us below the level of crew complements on airlines such as Singapore, Malaysia, JAL, ANA, Virgin, etc. So it cannot be said that we don't make concessions.
I have to disagree with you. BASSA IS a few militant reps in an office who don't so much represent the cabin crew community as lead them by the nose to BASSAs own agenda. Take the recent farce of the strike ballot. It was decided on a show of hands of less than 1% of your community and issued before anybody knew what it was about. Now we have the place being plastered with "Vote Yes" stickers but half the members don't know what they are voting yes for. The BASSA Newsletter was such an appalling work of fiction I thought I could have been reading the Daily Sport! "FACT" my @arse!

Your knowledge of history is somewhat selective too. BASSA recommended you voted for EG300 and you took the money BA offered, which is why it's a bit rich for you to know complain that you don't like it. I don't know about the background to SFG. I do know that people like to bring up the removal of the 16th crew member from the 747 (note that this was at a time that the seating capacity was reducing from 395 to 351 or 295). That may indeed take us below the crew complement of Singapore, Malaysia, JAL, ANA, Virgin etc but they also squeeze a lot more passengers on their aircraft and Virgin regularly fly one or more crew members down.

I have worked for the company for 10 years and I am paid pretty much the same as Virgin
Please, don't even go there. Anyone who's seen the figures knows that is untrue, unless after ten years you regularly take home less than £1300 per month.

What I would like to see is a list of all the savings BA crew at LHR think they have made in the last five years. As far as I can see they consist of one crew member of the 747.