PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Pilots - Leadership question
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2006, 09:05
Hilico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helicopter Pilots - Leadership question

The organisation I work for is offering those who want it mentoring for moving up the managerial chain. (Sorry, it's not a helicopter organisation.) It is clear that besides the official mentor, I can learn lots from others as well. One topic of my last meeting was dealing with awkward people. And so my thoughts moved naturally to this forum (SASless, sit down).
In a typical ground-based managerial position, I would be negotiating with people on at least equal terms. However, do many helicopter pilots have this advantage? Scenario: thrusting business chappie has scheduled five meetings in a day treble figures of miles apart. If the machine was coin-operated he would be putting in a quid in the slot every 3-5 seconds, and so he feels as though he has quite a lot of say in the operation. Fourth leg, Wx closing in / TRA suddenly established / chip light comes on, you have to say no. He wants yes on the grounds that he's paying handsomely.
How do you persuade chappie of your wisdom? How do you minimise fall-out? Please feel free to quote from your experience in this and the hundreds of other cases that must have happened.