PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 3
Thread: Aer Lingus - 3
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2006, 02:36
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EI, in my experience, has a very good product on short haul and I guess that with new technology, such as online check in and seat selection, they can reduce their costs further; however, it has always been said that with increased competition from FR, in particular, the development of long haul would be of critical importance.

The big issue in the early part of next year (starting with a meeting of EU transport ministers and major EU carriers, in Brussels) will be the approach taken to new O/S negotiations with the Americans. It is of crucial importance that Ireland's case is put in a very direct, forthright manner and that if EU/US talks fail in late January, Ireland can put into effect a Plan B. If Ireland's agreement with the US includes a "community clause" (allowing any other EU airline to begin services from Ireland to the US, once O/S is agreed), there is no real reason for the EU to object. If EI can get the green light by the end of January for expansion this Summer, then maybe some growth can be achieved this year.

Judging from comment on another site, it appears that there is some concern among EI employees at a lack of information from senior management about developments and also, the development of long haul (including the new fleet order). I can only guess that the reason for the latter may be that they're waiting for the end of January, so as to tie their short-medium term needs into any long term fleet deal, with Airbus or Boeing, but that carries with it the risk of losing production slots to other carriers.

I think, one way or another, we should have more concrete info by the end of January.