PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision over Brasil
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2006, 23:54
broadreach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FJ&J

You raise several points.

Regarding recommendations, it would seem that the broad causal factors are now well known and that those involved in the investigation have all the detail. I doubt suggestions from "outside" would be welcomed.

Re “how people feel”, I can only give you an approximate idea of local, i.e. Brazilian, feelings regarding the official statements, criminalisation and ATC under military control. Last first: re military control, nobody except the ATC staff themselves really gives a damn as long as it works. Right now it’s a tremendously emotional and political issue so I don’t think we’re likely to see which direction it’s headed for another few months.

Official statements have served only to expose the officials spouting them to ridicule.

Criminalisation. O Globo, a newspaper, ran a web survey in which it asked whether readers thought the Legacy crew should or should not have been allowed to leave the country. 52% said yes they should. That is presumably the uninformed public so better not to read too much into it. Anybody I’ve spoken with thinks retaining their passports was a cheap, ridiculous gesture. Anybody connected with aviation is horrified.

Yes, many lessons are being learnt - and again, I can only speak "locally". Whether it’s the airforce or a civil organisation in charge of ATC in the future, they won’t be as subservient to the treasury as they have been. Just short of US$ 300 million’s just been granted to close that stable door. The airlines will have learned that when the reservations system is disrupted by external factors like ATC they can’t just go on relying on their standard overbooking algorithms. Airlines might also take a more pro-active stance right from the start rather than keeping their heads down, as they have done, and hoping that most passenger fury would be directed at the government.