PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot jailed (alcoholism & pilots)
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2006, 18:28
J.O.

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
JO That may be true of Canada, but not of the UK.
In the UK, only about 12% of drink/drive offenders are convicted of a second offence within 10 years (Department for Transport figures) and there is no evidence (so far as I'm aware) that any significant proportion of those have previously been imprisoned for drink/drive offences. Their 'driving privileges' would normally have been suspended for 12 months (minimum) following the first conviction.
(More severe penalties are imposed for a further conviction within 10 years so the figures are readily available for that period.)
Hi Tudor:

I suppose the term "large" is subjective. I'm sure you'd agree that if someone said that 12% of pilots were alcoholics, there'd be a loud cry for change. I happen to believe that if 12% of drunk drivers are repeat offenders, it is a large percentage (and our statistics in Canada are similar). I also believe that we are missing an opportunity by not making it mandatory that all offenders undergo an assessment to determine if they have an addiction to alcohol, or if they are alcohol abusers (as they are different animals). The assessment should be followed by mandatory participation in an appropriate treatment and/or prevention program as a condition for the reinstatement of driving priveleges. The same could apply to anyone who is found to be performing any regulated "safety critical" activity while under the influence.

Jeff