PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GB Airways
Thread: GB Airways
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2006, 14:29
Major Cleve Saville

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heard from a reliable source that easyJet are determined to eliminate/obliterate GB by chasing them off their profitable destinations,
Already happened to a greater or lesser extent on AGP FAO VLC ALC LEI MJV PMI RAK and now CMN (via MAD) etc etc. They know BA just cannot compete so no GB presence on these routes means no BA competition as well as one competitor (with any marketing clout) less.

If just two airframes are retained for 'GibAir' at GIB who will fly them?

I seem to remember operating B737-200s for a Gibraltar based company, great fun (the joys of Bar Jimmy, the Picadilly and the Rock Hotel) , however the competition was Air Europe and then Dan-Air. JG seniors proud boast was he had seen off 17 competitors and there was money in the bank to see off more. In those days there was no airport agreement, no FlyGib, no Iberia and no easyJet snapping at the heels.

If the Gaggeros think that they will save face in the Gibraltar Chamber of Commerce by once again being the 'local airline' I hope they are prepared to dig deep to fund it.

I am also sure competition in ground handling would impact a nice little revenue stream for our Gibraltarian benefactors!!

I agree it is time to wake up and sniff the cawfee I can't help thinking that the owners of GB and its employees are blind to the realities of commercial life if they think anything can be salvaged from the wreckage of the Johnny Vegas years.

If the airline does fail/significantly downsize following industrial action or the threat there-of guess who will be blamed for the airlines demise!!