PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 28th Dec 2006, 18:57
Slats One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
composites- final thoughts from slats one

Airrabbit makes a very reasoned case - which should not be overlooked- its the growing snowball effect of course- all those differing factors building up on top of each other.

All i am trying show is that if you view the AA587 NTSB report with the knowledge of post -report subsequent events (ie Transat etc) it becomes clear that subsequent circumstances- had they been fact at the time of AA587, may, repeat may have created a different mindset.

I think the NTSB should perform a deep peer review of what they knew/know then and now- a la Rumsfeld's, known unknowns and unknown unknowns...

I have just looked again at some AA advanced training video- the lecturer is clearly using a T tailed twin jet- Fokker 100 or MD series (?) He advocates use of top rudder to stop the nose falling down (he demonstrates such nose fall). But he never tells anyone to kick it their.

And those baby T tailers are very different beasts - we all know that...

I am still at a loss as to which came first on the AA 587 - the tail wagging the pilot or vice versa- but I now believe that their are enough subsequent events to suggest a review of the finding that it was the pilot- so far promulgated.

Its not what happend its why- but what if the why was because of the what-the unconsidered what at the time (but since highlighted by events)

The rear cabin on AA857 must have been twanging around like a circus ride - how come no commander intervention - how come no thinking about who or what was causing the swing - pedal or fin/ rudder- which happened first.

If we had not had Transat etc since- all this could be dismissed as speculative dross. but it is not - not any more -not now we know what we know...

The arguement that this had not happened before so it cannot be the aircraft is bunkum- becasue that ignores the issue of teh ageing composite - about which even my professor of composites friend says " we know so very little - except from the experiecne of heat and cold soak and chemcial degredation on yachts..."

As I said, its classic Nevile Shute stuff..

Its time others typed, fly safe...