PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 28th Dec 2006, 18:13
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slats One

If you study the CVR tape it is very clear that before the application of full power -and before the sound of what might be the fin coming off. there is clearly a handling issue apparent- with reactive process from the PIC and left seater (verbal inputs). What casued that handling issues- was it relly just wake turbulence and pilot input. I doubt it.
I had the luxury of talking with someone who knew about folks reactions from when they flew the accident profile in a NASA sim.. Said folks were sceptical of blaming the rudder inputs for the crash. Problem is typical simulators don't do an accurate job of simulating the side loads. The NASA simulator does a better, if not great, job of simulating side loads.

Simulation timeline is running - "Ok, little bit of turbulence...first rudder input now... WOW *HIT! Folks were stunned by the side load generated.(try flying with a G meter and putting a 1/4 or larger G load on the a/c quickly. Now make that a side load. I was told it was very abrupt).

I was told this is when (some?) folks realized it might have been a rudder PIO. This is the rudder sensitivity the NTSB board discussed.