PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interesting note about AA Airbus crash in NYC
Old 28th Dec 2006, 17:52
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spent the morning going over the AAMP tapes. Dated 19 Dec 1997. Training for the CA on AAMP was in May 1997 with sim training 1997(tape presentation was from March/April 1997-NTSB report pg 85 - pg 99 out of 212 pdf file) so

It's an excellent presentation. I'm no fan of the presenter but his briefing is on target. It's about operations at the edge of the flight envelope to save a/c and is about typical line operations. Discussion centers on the to roll the a/c from nose high attitudes and the ability to use the rudder if necessary.

He refers to rudder use several times and it's always 'coordinated', 'smoothly', 'these are powerful rudders so use small amounts', 'I never said to use opposite rudders', 'if you want to use a little rudder go ahead', etc, etc.

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/2004/AAR0404.pdf

The NTSB report deals with the AAMP on pages 80 (pg 94 of pdf) Sec. 1.17.1.2 until pg 95 (pg 109 of pdf)

Page 95, (pg 109 of pdf) Sec. 1.17.2.2.1 has Airbus' discussion of the use of rudder. The difference between what Vandenburg's entire presenation, and Airbus' position, is trivial. Airbus had concerns about Vandenburg's comment to use 'rudder in the direction you want to roll'. I thought 'uh oh' when I saw that part of the tape. But when Vandenburg's total presentation is viewed the one sentence being called into question is nit picking. The total presentation mentions several times the limited use, coordinated, small, and careful use of rudder. And, to satisfy the manufacturers concerns, at the end of the tape he mentions the limitations to rudder use again(NTSB report).

If you can't view the AAMP tapes at least read the report. AAMP is still taught at AA training. The briefing by CA Vandenburg is still valid.

And even a non professional pilot on the NTSB gets it (previously posted quote) -

While the board issued recommendations in early 2002 for pilots to be cautioned in training about the dangerous potential for rudder reversals (see ASW, Feb. 18, 2002), Vice Chairman Rosenker said, "At this point, we haven't done much about the rudder - its sensitivity."
Board Member Debbie Hersman said, "The sensitivity is more important than the AAMP program."

The A300 rudder is the most sensitive rudder out there.

And the investigaton shows that the plane moved in response to the rudder inputs as opposed to side loads generating first followed rudder inputs to stop the unintended yawing moments.

As Mad(flt)scientist said, any commercial a/c not protected by computer flight laws can generate these loads. That folks argue or doubt this today is scary.