PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus technology defects
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2006, 17:35
Old Aero Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeke
The three I had in mind
Southwest 737 in Dec (Maybe repaired, still 1 death involved)
Air Algérie 736 in March this year
GOL 738 in Sept this year.
The first two events were not hull losses. The airplanes were repaired and returned to service.
You are correct, the GOL incident was the first 737NG hull loss. However, since this was the first hull loss in 8 years of 737NG operation, I suspect the 737NG rate will be as good or better than the 737-300/400/500. (Thanks for the reminder GCC)
Originally Posted by Zeke
340 has no deaths with a lower hull loss accident rate than the 744.
The 744 has had 3 hull loss accidents, China Airlines in 1993 in Hong Kong, Korean in 1996 at Seoul both hull losses on landing, no loss of life. Singapore in 2000 at Taipei on takeoff, 83 dead.
Only one 340 hull loss in service, the Air France landing at Toronto, no loss of life.
Two other 340 hull losses events maybe on the database you are looking at, one was during maintenance when a hydraulic pump overheated, the other on the tarmac in Colombo in a terrorist attack. Neither during operation, neither a hull loss accident.
There seems to be some confusion over the number of hull loss accidents and the rate of hull loss accidents.
The 744 does not have a higher hull loss accident rate then the A340. As I stated earlier, the 744 hull loss rate is 0.75 hull losses per one million operations while the A340 is 0.92 hull losses per one million operation.
If you had read the link I provided, you would have seen these rates were calculated based on the 3 744 hull losses you described and the single Air France A340 overrun. The other A340 hull losses were not included since they did not take place during airline operations.
Statistically, the difference in these rates in not significant. Neither is the difference in rates between the A320 family and the 737-300/400/500 & 737NG. The rates do not support your supposition that FBW airliners are safer via virtue of their technology level.
Your aguments that Airbus FBW has no significant flaws needs to be made on the merits of the Airbus design, not via comparisons with other non-FBW types.