PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student feeling like a Muppett
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2006, 03:38
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
My addition to all of the great advice you've got from the others..

When flying, and a decision is needed, take the time available to make the best decision you can, with the information you have. Once you have made your decision, determine what you need to do to carry it out. (bear in mind, that this whole process might take only a split second for many circumstances.

Once you've made your decision, and begun to carry it out, don't change your mind! Even if it was not the best choice, once you've begun to carry it out, you'll mess it up more by changing tactics. You'd rather do a good job of the best thing that you could think of at the time, than a horrible job of the next thing you though of after that, which might not have been any better anyway!

A second in control of a plane can seem like an hour. Give it time...

The only pilots who have not embarrassed themselves in a plane, are about to...

In a decade or so, with 5000 hours in your log, you won't even remember this ('cause probably there were a few more embarrasing events along the way!)

One day, you'll be giving this advice to some other new pilot, that's how I got it 30 years ago.

By the way, the sputtering problem was most likely your too rapid movement of the throttle. Even with an accellerator pump on the carb, (which all 152's would have, though it might not be in top condition), you can still make nearly all carburetted engines stumble if you jam the throttle. Some much older planes (like Piper Cubs etc.) will just quit with such throttle management, because they do not have an accellerator pump. That can assure a landing moments after a go around attempt - been there, done that! In a 152, the stumble is very likley to fix itself if you leave everything alone for a few seconds, but I sure understand that they can seem like very long seconds rolling down the runway on a touch and go! Try slower movements of the throttle, and the engine will be more happy. You'll look like a pro too!

Cheers, Pilot DAR